Sunday, August 02, 2009

What 5.1 mega pixels can get you...

...some really fun photos when your DSLR is in the shop.

Over the weekend we packed up the kids, our slide-in truck camper, the tent, and enough food to feed a small village, as we headed north for a counterclockwise loop around the Olympic Peninsula. With record breaking temperatures beating down on us all week, we thought a little fun in the mountains and on the coast would suit us just fine.

Our first stop, located just outside Port Angeles, was accidentally found by Anna who had to go to the bathroom "reeeeeaaaally" bad. We pulled in to a campground to use the facilities and decided we might as well stay for the night (we departed late in the day so it was already bedtime when we stopped). The kids had a blast exploring their new "home" for the night. Anna especially loved all of the pine cones. She worked tirelessly to line them all up on the picnic table. When it got dark, her Papa loaned her his head lamp to use so she could finish the job (Anna called it her headlight).





















After a newborn-esque night of sleep by John (I'm sure our camping neighbors were not amused), we were well on our way to a fun-filled weekend. Some serious coffee the following morning helped as the kids and I checked out the Olympic Peninsula Bike Trail which ran straight through our campground.





















After a fun-filled morning cruising the bike trail (we never did actually see a cyclist on the trail) we departed for our next destination, the Hoh Rain Forest. Determined to have a better second night of camping, we found the perfect site along the Hoh River. The water was quite chilly, but there were several little pools that had formed and both Anna and John had fun exploring the river.
















It didn't take Anna long to figure out the river basin was made of wonderfully round river rocks,




















unique and quite large peices of driftwood,




















and MUD.






















After a ton of fun in the sun and on the river, we had a nice night of play and s'mores by the campfire. John's second night was a little bit better than the first, but all in all I would have to give him a C- for his performance. The poor little guy just isn't a big fan of Pack-n-Plays and campers I guess.



1 comment:

atorgesen said...

Well - I would say 5.1 megapixels and you are doing just fine! your pictures are AWESOME and it looks like you had a really great time! I love your artistic eye - you have a great sense of creativity - something I'm working on a lot.