Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Quotes, Conversations, and of course, Poop

There is a park near our house we like to spend time at whenever the weather cooperates. It's called "The Kids Gig" and is basically a large wooden structure with a labyrinth of stairs, slides, towers, etc. One portion of the play structure is designed to be a boat complete with a bow and a pilot house containing a steering wheel. As I was watching Anna play on the structure she made her way over to the boat and climbed onto the bow. The following conversation then took place:

Looking over at me she said "Mommy, you come over here and steer."

"Sure," I said as I took my place behind the wheel.

Looking up at me again from the bow she then said, "Mommy, you be the Captain and I'll be the Major."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we return to our house after an outing, it is customary for Anna to come in to the kitchen, sit down, immediately throw off her shoes, socks, and jacket, and take off toward her toys as if on some sort of mission. Today was no different, except for the fact she decided to leave her shoes on and we had just had the carpets cleaned. Here's how it all went down, to my amazement:

"Anna, we just had the carpets cleaned so can you please sit down and take your shoes off for Mommy?"

Totally expecting a typical toddler rejection to Mommy's suggestion, she pipes in with "Yes Mommy, it'll be my pleasure."

As she immediately sits down to take her shoes off, I do a double take staring at her with one of those looks that could only say 'what have you done with my daughter?' I managed to stammer back "Thank you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While at the park today (before both the boat and the my pleasure incidents) Anna was playing on the playground equipment when this happened:

"Gotta go poooooop!" she proclaimed, and not in a quiet tone of voice either (thank goodness we were the only ones there).

In a brief instance of panic I responded "are you sure?"

"Yes, I gotta go poooooop," she repeated.

"Okay, hold it and follow me" I told her as I escorted her out of the park and toward our car. Now, before I go on I have to tell you that this park is located on the grounds of the high school and right next to the athletic practice fields which were, at the time, bustling with activity. As we walked by the girls practicing softball I noticed that the porta-potty located near the fields was opened. As I made my decision to head for it I thought to myself, "this could get ugly." Unfortunately, the alternative was much worse so we made a beeline straight for the bright blue savior. Inside I found it to be surprisingly clean. As I unwound some toilet paper and began to place it carefully on the seat to protect Anna's little bum she started making caveman type sounds just to hear the echo.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaah" she said. Then "Ohhhhhhhhhh".

"Okay sweetie, please don't touch anything and let's get this over with" I told her.

With that she turned and looked down into the toilet and said loudly, "look Mommy, there's blue water down there."

"There sure is, now can you please go poop for Mommy?"

Okay, I will dispense with the rest of the goings on in the porta-potty, but I can assure you everything came out alright. As we got back to the playground I noticed Anna was grabbing at her bottom, so I asked her what was wrong and she said to me, "I gotta go poop."

"But you just went," I pleaded. "Are you sure you have to go again?"

"Yes I do," she said.

Back to the porta-potty we went. As we stepped inside for the second time in less than 5 minutes she turned to me and said, "Mommy, I don't want to go poop on the blue water."

"It's okay," I told her. "There is no other option so let's just please get this over with."

Again, everything came out alright and luckily that was the last trip we had to make to the porta-potty this afternoon.

I don't have any new pictures to add to today's post, so I hope you enjoyed our conversations. Thanks for checking in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny!!!! It made me laugh!

Talk to you soon,
Kim