Anna has entered yet another new phase. I began noticing a change a few months ago, but today was the first day this new phase really took hold and altered the course of our day (well, the beginning of it anyway). Getting Anna dressed and ready for the day is quite often an exercise in guerilla warfare. As she goes about her morning business of playing, watching a show, or eating breakfast, I sneak around until she least expects it and then I move in and attempt to get her dressed as quickly as possible. For the most part, this tactic has worked pretty well...until this morning. We were in a bit of a rush, when I told Anna it was time to get dressed. Not expecting any other response she weighs in with a definitive "No." I follow this statement with the best bribes, promises, and distractions I can think of to calmly get on with the business at hand, but she will have none of it. At this point I realize that the moment I have dreaded for quite some time has finally come to fruition. "What would you like to wear today?" I asked her, knowing this new act of independence was here to stay. I began to present her with a multitude of suitable options, but all were met with the same response, "No." That is, until we stumbled across her replica Mexico soccer jersey she received from her grandparents for Christmas (a momento they picked up while travelling there). "I want to wear my soccer shirt," she said and with that we left the house donning the green, white and red of the Mexican national team. "Goooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllll"!
In keeping with the spanish theme, we were at the fabric store with our friends when Anna came up with another one of her great quotes. While waiting for my friend as she took her oldest daughter to the bathroom, I looked after Anna and her youngest daughter as they sat peacefully in the shopping carts. At one point Lauren, who is 14 months old, looked over to Anna and babbled something in perfectly clear, and totally adorable, baby-speak. Anna then turned to me, smiled, and said "look Mommy, Lauren is speaking Spanish."
Hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment